Friday, 31 December 2010

Christmas, set backs and smooth legs

"Honey, how do you feel about shaving my legs?"
"I don't want to shave your legs." Seb swiftly replies defiantly
"Why?  It's easy, and it's only the lower half of my bad leg."
"Then you can have one shaved and one hairy" he suggests triumphantly.
"Honey, that is not the answer, plus the hair makes my legs itch under my compression socks.  It'll be fine, I even use those protector razors so skin nicks are almost never."
"I don't want to shave your legs."

Hmm, this conversation is going nowhere.  A leg is far easier to shave than a face so what's the issue!?  I resort to suggesting hair removal cream.  He seems less scared of that idea.

Despite my assumptions that his attempt at Christmas food shopping was going to be disastrous he actually coped very well.  He came back with everything on the list and I can only recall about 4 phone calls during his trip to confirm, question or complain.  I consider that a very successful mission!

Christmas Day and Boxing Day was lovely, just the two of us.  Seb kindly brought down my shower chair so that I could sit in the kitchen and do all the work!  But lets face it, had I left it to him we'd of had cheese on toast starters, followed by fish finger sandwiches and finished off with ice cream and chocolate topping.  Instead for lunch I made pigs in blankets, devils on horseback, mini prawn cocktails and creamy sage and potato bakes which took all up about 2 hrs to prepare and cook.  Sebby's contribution - keeping my champagne glass full!

Come the afternoon I'm getting a bit tired and not just my hip aches, but my back is killing me too. 

"Ooh my feet hurt" exclaims Sebby
"Oh! Your feet hurt, what about my hip and back?  I've been doing all the work!"
"But I've been putting stuff in the oven for you and loading the dishwasher.  I need to lie down, I'm tired" he protests, fully believing that his assistance was noteworthy enough to reward him with a nap.

I really had no response to this, I was too flabbergasted. 

As he crashed on the lounge sleeping like a baby I shake my head in the knowledge that it has nothing to do with 'helping me', he's simply had 10 too many devils, 5 too many pigs and 1 too many bottles of cheap red sparkling. 

Come four o'clock and after having no nanna nap as sleeping piggy has hogged the lounge, it's again time to take to my kitchen seat and prepare a full turkey dinner.  Sleeping piggy awakes to pick up his strenuous oven opening and clearing up duties.  And most important of all.....to resume filling my champagne glass!

I think the activities of those couple of days took their toll a little bit.  On Monday I took my dressing off as instructed by the nurse the previous week, to find that I am oozing!  Yes, unpleasant I know.  Not only that my thigh has swelled a little and I'm experience new pain.  I don't like new pain.  You get used to the pain that you have, you grow accustomed to it and it no longer concerns you because you expect it.  But when a new pain arrives it's rather disconcerting.  It's a bit like going out with someone to living with that person.  You think you know all their habits, you've learnt to live with them, albeit in seperate homes, and don't expect any surprises.  Then you move in together and suddenly realise that all those habits you could live with when you were able to retreat back to your own home are not his only habits - there's new ones!  You all know what I'm talking about :-)

Anyway, the physio did tell me to expect some occassional set backs because you don't know you've overdone it till you've actually overdone it.  So I had to go to my local GP to get my wound oozing looked at.  It's nothing to worry about, in fact the rest of the scar is incredibly thin and neat - he's done a great job sowing me up!  Makes the 10 inch scar next to it from 20 years ago look like a hack job.  They cleaned up the oozing and redressed just that bit of the scar and sent me on my way.  Had to go back twice to check it wasn't turning into an infection but it appears to have dried up now and the swelling has reduced.

On the progress front I am now getting on my exercise bike for some gentle cycling.  It's set to no resistance at this stage.  Today I burnt 24 calories in 6 mins over 2.2km's - wow!!  Not sure that even compensates for one lick of a chocolate bar!  I'm still doing my box and bound sessions, arms crazily waving around my body.  I really hope the neighbours haven't spotted me.

I'm back to work next week which is a daunting prospect as I won't have my 'special' stuff - toilet seat and chair.  Time to start getting back to normal.  Using the crutches is getting annoying now but I'm soooo not ready to go full weight bearing, will be at least another 3 weeks.

Happy New Year all.  It will be a fairly quiet one for me this year - I can't risk getting stuck far from home with no taxi's.  I have at least seen the Sydney fireworks for real 3 times, watching them on the telly this year won't be too bad so long as I have a champers in my hand :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment