Thursday, 23 December 2010

Two weeks post op - I can now put my own knickers on!

I'm starting to see some real progress now.  I can't get my own trousers/joggers on yet, but I can get my knickers on!  Good leg in, that bit is easy, drop knickers to floor, assist bad leg with placing foot into other side, wiggle toes through hole, once in use foot on good side to loop round and lift up to knee.  Yay!

"Honey, honey, I can get my own knickers on!"  I yell in glee to Sebby.
"That's nice darling, well done" he replies, with slight drollness in his voice.  Well I suppose it's hard to get excited about his 35 year old girlfriend being able to get her knickers on.

This week I've been home alone whilst Seb went back to work.  It's not been too bad, I've had someone from the healthcare program I'm on come each day - the physio and the nurse.   The physio took me for a walk yesterday - my first venture into the outside world for 2 weeks!  We didn't go far but it was a real confidence boost.  It's easy to revert into a shell to keep yourself protected because of how fragile you feel.  I can see, particularly in the past few days, that I'm getting stronger - I'm even going to take myself for a walk today.  The physio is happy with my progress and has given me further exercises to do.  Yesterday I got enthusiastic to do more exercise and tried finding any workouts on youtube for seated aerobics.

OMG - I found a seated aerobics workout by Mr Motivator!  For the English or those that have lived there, particularly through the 90's you may remember the excruciatingly cheery, garishly dressed, fitness 'guru' that appeared on one of the daily morning programs.  The only thing that got a workout was my face from laughing so much.

So I ditched that idea and decided to put on a DVD I have called Box and Bound - it's for use with a rebounder (mini trampoline).  I figure I can do all the upper body stuff either seated or just standing.  And I did - and any fly on the wall at the time would have seen how much of a fool I looked!  Standing like I'd been frozen to the spot whilst my upper body flailed wildly trying to coordinate with the annoyingly sprightly girl on the screen.  Gold.

That said, my arms do ache a bit today so it must have done something.

Other progress, I can now turn and sleep on my side - but not for very long.  Two weeks of being on my back is getting annoying, plus I get hot being in one spot for hours.  I'm sure the bed has a perfect indentation of my body embedded into by now!  A couple of times in the night I manage to roll to my good side, pillow between my legs to keep the hip straight.  I can only sustain the position for about half an hour before it gets uncomfortable on my hip but at least it gives some relief to my back.  Unfortunately the numbness down the entire front of my thigh has not relented yet.  From experience I expect it may take some weeks/months to get full feeling back.  It's such a weird feeling when anything touches the skin.  I can't even bear it when I touch it let alone anyone else.  As the nurse in the hospital said, the nerves have been angered and they'll take some time to calm down. 

Challenges for Seb coming up - I seriously need my legs shaved!  Two weeks of growth, very spiky and uncomfortable under the stupid compression socks I have to wear all the time.  I haven't broken this news to him yet.  I'll save the details of that conversation for my next update.  Before I break that one to him he needs to get over the trauma of doing the shopping for Christmas dinner.  Bearing in mind it's the 23rd Dec, the supermarket is going to be rammed and he has a long list. 

I better put my phone on charge as I expect there will be many many phone calls from him in frustration - where's this, where's that, they don't have any, yes I did look, it's not there, etc, etc.  Oh joy.

Merry Christmas all - I'll be back next week.  In the meantime check out the photo's of the $12,000 worth of hardware inside me.........


No comments:

Post a Comment